Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Reason #11 The Liturgy

So as a mother of three small boys sitting in a pew by ourselves each Sunday (Brandon is playing guitar again). I am so very grateful for the regularity of the liturgy. It makes it easier for a mother to mentally jump in and out as her children's needs fluctuate. My favorite story was on one particular Sunday we had a couple of books in the pew so of course Dominic and Xavier found it necessary to both want the same book at the same time. I was busy being the peacemaker and missed a chunk of the homily. I get the book problem solved and jump back into the homily to hear the priest saying something to the extent of "just like children can be in a room full of toys and insist on fighting over the same one" I thought, well I guess I didn't miss anything at all and maybe Fr. Dusty was looking in our pew and came up with that at the spur of the moment (but I don't think so).

I love that as profound and complete as the liturgy is, it is so complete that it recognizes that we are mere humans we need repetition in our lives, we need musical breaks, we need to stand up, sit down and kneel to keep the blood flowing in our hearts and minds open. We need to be able to put the needs of our children before our own needs and wants.

No comments: