Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Reason #10 Render to Caesar

So this reason isn't specifically Catholic but I do love how the 3 year liturgical cycle always seems exactly dead on to where we all need to focus. I seriously need to stop reading anything but the comics in the newspaper. So today I made the sad mistake of reading the paper while enjoying my breakfast. On one page it was all about the education reform ideas of Obama and McCain. My stomach was greatly disturbed to see how much money our future president is going to put into having free public education start at birth. Has anyone actually thought about what is the best for the child? Is encouraging more women to put their newborn baby in formal education really the best in the complete development of the child. There is not a single study that thinks so, but we will be rendering billions of dollars into this new educational ideology while we still provide little to no support (financial management or emotional) for people to live on one income. So then I make the next mistake to flip a few pages further and find out that the city of Evansville has officially decided to give a bunch of tax breaks to Mead Johnson (aka Enfamil). I am not sure how our town things this is a good economic decision, but there you have it.

Greatly disturbed by all of these uses of my money, I remind myself that in this life we must render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. This doesn't mean I should just say oh well and let the government spend money however it feels like, but I need to not let it take over my joy. I am reminded that I need to lay my soul and my life before the Lord and He will take care to provide in me and my family what is truly important for a deep seeded happiness that can not be found in the world of Caesar.

No comments: