Friday, December 05, 2008

Reason #17 Santa Claus

So today I read in the paper that retail sales have been the worse they have been since 1969 this Christmas Season. As a retailer, it has me a little worried as I have bills to pay that will inevitably come out of family savings instead of sales, but as a Catholic I am ecstatic. How I would love for every family to get one special gift from the heart and that be all. The twist that our culture has put on St. Nicolas who started by giving to people who had NOTHING is amazing. We have used it to bribe children for our own parental gain (naughty or nice anyone), but last time I checked St. Nicolas did what he did out of a love for God's children not to reward the good and punish the bad. I keep hoping that people's worry this year and reduced spending will bring to light that they didn't really need all of that stuff to make the Christmas season special. There is no greater gift than the gift that God gave us and Mary lovingly accepted on Christmas day (well she accepted it 9 mos early, but I digress).

I have dreams of lighting candles in the snow, stringing popcorn (or eating popcorn with a string and needle in hand), and a celebration of Holy Mass instead of oodles of presents that will fall apart and be in next years garage sale.

1 comment:

Addie said...

Katie,

A few years ago (or a decade or so), I heard of a family who gives their children each 3 gifts representing the 3 gifts from the wise men. I have held on to that idea and now do that with my own kids.