Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Reason #16 Phil 2:5-11

Okay so this is way later then I said it was going to be, but I have been sick and then I had to catch up on everything that didn't happen while I was sick (somehow cleaning my kitchen comes after updating my blog).

For those of you that do the Divine Office, you will notice how often this reading comes up it is a frequent reminder of the importance of the bridgegroom to be humble and accept death for it is said of the ultimate bridgegroom"he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross." It was never about him. He didn't come for himself or his own self promotion, rather he came to serve taking the form of a slave.

It is this line, however, that in light of reading some of John Paul II's Theology of the Body that just wows me:
"Who, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God,
something to be grasped."
Just as we are also in the form of God, we are not to deem ourselves equal to God making decisions that only God should have the power to make. We are not to grasp wisdom like Adam did in the Garden, but rather empty ourselves and become obedient to the one true Master. In these current times, I am reminded that "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven." This is true for the Catholic Church as much as it is true for us. Let us educate ourselves in why the Catholic Church teaches the morals it does on both marriage and importance of respecting life as well as praying for those who unknowingly usher slander against her without understanding the complete teaching.



No comments: