Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Up at Midnight

Okay, so this is my first blog and this is really just a motivation for me to start writing some of my thoughts down. So the warning is that I often type with one hand sharing a keyboard with a curious one year old.

So my three year old and I were up last night working on falling asleep. He was sincerely trying; it just wasn't working. It was 11:30pm and he and I rocked and rocked. I started thinking about how God asks us to be like children and what that means to us as adults. As the parent of a small child, I find that I am called to help him understand himself. Rather then punish him; I need to help him understand his emotions that are triggering the reactions he shows. How true it must be of our Heavenly Father! He never punishes us (contrary to many religions and people's belief). He always gently guides us into a deeper understanding of ourselves. I am in the midst of reading a book about power struggles with children and Kurcinka's number one point is that if you are in the midst of a power struggle you need to first look at yourself and your expectations for the child. It is in examining our temperament that we can better understand the temperament of our children. With our heavenly Father, as he gently guides us and teaches, he shows us the depth and meaning of ourselves through an understanding of him. So I must continue to pray to God that he reveal himself so that I can not only better understand and love him, but also understand and love myself.

1 comment:

Lois said...

Such an honor to witness and share such a beautiful, spiritual, and powerful miracle. J