Friday, September 05, 2008

Bookcase

I am very proud of the bookcase I built for the kid's Atrium so I thought I would share it. This is what it looks like when opened up with the sparse materials I have so far on it. It is hinged so you can do it as a corner shelf or a flat wall and then when it isn't used, it all folds onto itself. Now I need to go get a board to make a table top that will rest on the top when it is closed so we have more workspace. The best part is that even with all of the wood the whole thing cost about $75.00 and we bought good wood. The guy at Lowe's cut all the boards so I didn't have to figure out how to manage a circular saw with 3 kids.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

that is so dang cool katie! kudos for the creativity and craftiness :) - jess

VeganLinda said...

I love it! I've been looking for something like this, but didn't want to spend $300! I can't believe you made this yourself. I really wish you were still around so I could learn how you do all of this.

Anonymous said...

Katie that's amazing!! I am in total awe of your creativity!! What a great space too... Hope you are settling in well!

Katie said...

It was actually really easy. I had the guy at Lowe's cut the boards (even the panel for the back) bought some wood screws, wheels, hinges, and a latch. My dad shared a great tip from my grandfather (his father-in-law which I love to hear stories about him learning from him. he was the type of man that all men should be, but I digress)Anyway the tip was to clamp the boards on both for both sides together so that they are being drilled straight through and you don't have to worry if you are a cm off. You still need to line the two holes per shelf up on the one board, but it is a lot less to keep precise. The I literally just screwed it all together added the wheels and hinges. Had my kids sand it (kids are great for that and the LOVED it) and latched it shut. Now to build a table for my scroll saw but I can't decide what I want it to look like.

Jennifer said...

Katie - this is SO beautiful and very professional looking! You could have a new business on your hands! Did you have a pattern or just make one up? LOVE IT!